The way you feel when you are under abnormal pressure. If it persists, it can have a harmful effect on your physical and mental wellbeing. Stress through life is often unavoidable but we can all develop ways of managing it better.
Causes of Stress
Life events such as breakdown in relationships and bereavement can be stressful. Our environment can cause us to become stressed e.g. noisy workplaces, or not having enough money to live on and worrying about debt.
If you feel like you have no energy, are more irritable than usual, if your sleeping, eating or drinking habits change, if you feel tense or have started to use drugs or alcohol differently, you may be stressed.
Ways to Manage Stress
- Find new ways to relax and balance your work and leisure time
- Avoid caffeine-based drinks (this includes tea)
- Try and avoid sugary drinks and snacks. They will give you a hit of energy but leave you feeling jittery
- Eat as healthily as you can, eg foods that release energy slowly such as fruit, pasta, and protein, like fish
- Try and reduce alcohol and cigarettes, they both have a negative effect on our bodies especially when we are under stress
- Regular exercise stimulates feel-good endorphins and can aid a sense of wellbeing and encourage sleep
- Find support from friends, be honest about how you are feeling and ask for help where you can
If you would like to talk with an experienced counsellor then please contact us at Worcester Therapy Group